Spring Training Survival 101
Rule#1: If you spot a scorpion on the floor, don’t try to pick it up with a Kleenex!
Apparently Brewer GM Doug Melvin didn’t get the memo and was unaware of “scorpion protocol,” because that’s exactly what he tried to do Wednesday afternoon in Arizona… and got STUNG!
Melvin, was stung on his middle finger on his left hand when he tried to pick up the scorpion with a kleenex! He started to experience numbness in his left arm, so he went to the internet, and found out it was the Arizona Bark Scorpion that stung him.
He read that Arizona bark scorpion is the most venomous scorpion in North America, and its venom can cause severe pain and numbness that typically lasts between 24 to 72 hours, so Melvin headed to the ER. Doug spent about 3 hours in the Scottsdale ER before being released, he compared the sensation that he felt to the one when you feel when you hit your funny bone.
The Arizona Bark Scorpion is light brown and native to southwest United States. The adult male can reach 3.14 inches in length, while a female is slightly smaller, with a maximum length of 2.75 inches.
The Arizona Bark Scorpion is nocturnal and will ambush its prey, feeding on crickets, roaches and other small insects…NOT MLB GMs! After further inspection a St. Louis Cardinal logo was found on its underbelly…go figure.